Monday, September 23, 2013

Pain cave

I've been very uninspired with running lately.  Not getting out as much as I'd like. 

But, I am.  And I'm getting back into the swing of things.  It doesn't help that I am training for the Scotiabank Toronto Waterfront half - I should be able to easily PB - and knowing that, and knowing that - well, duh, it's easy to run 21.1k - I have been lazy.

But no more!  Yesterday there was a new addition to the pain cave, courtesy of Joe:





The leg machine.  Andrew, our RMT, is mixed on leg extensions, but I can do leg extensions and hamstring curls with this machine.  Extra strength is extra strength.  I'm really pleased Joe is lending this to me for the year.

Used it yesterday and today - my hamstrings are already sore!  Though I feel like I have shockingly weak hamstrings.  I will improve them, bit by bit. 

So for strength, I have started working on my core again - the whole shebang - and really targeting strength in my legs.  I'm putting living in a high rise to good use, loading up a backpack with weights and doing stairs.  It's good work! 

In other news, as an extra motivation for Haliburton, I've reached out to Centre for Addiction and Mental Health to see if I can fundraise for them for the run.  We need to talk, but they are interested. 

I am a bit torn - I'd love to fundraise - but it also means to some extent being 'out' about my story, and well - I am a very high functioning bipolar, but there is still a lot of prejudice - I don't really worry about it personally, but professionally.  I am out to my immediate colleagues at work, but if I ever left my job - would it impact me searching for another?  I don't know.  I think my work speaks for itself, but it is a consideration. 

On the otherhand, I think a lot of times people don't expect people as mentally ill as I am to be high functioning, so it's nice to model that and show that it is possible.  I dunno. 

No comments:

Post a Comment